Wednesday, September 01, 2021

What is the future of retirement?

I confess, I’ve always preferred older people to children.

I knew only one grand-parent, my paternal grandmother. As a teen, I made sure I visited her every weekend. She told the best tales of yore. No, not Cinderella. But of when she made the best hair oil, or so she was always told, and sold them on the trains.

So you see, old people are inspirational. They don’t require half the hard-work children do. Because they come in unique, set molds. They know themselves. And more often than not, they just cannot be bothered.

So here’s a word that needs reimagining - retirement. I’m done with calling it the “second innings” or associating it with relaxing on a couch all day and reading a book. I know a few people in that age group – it’s 60+ here in India; their energy and will to learn could rival a 30 year old's. They need honest work to fill their days, just like they until they had to stop.

It’s time the workforce acknowledge that age is truly just a number. The mind is what matters. Just because one blows the candles on a certain birthday, does not make them less enthusiastic or intelligent. Imagine the mistakes made and lessons learned with so many years of living. How useful these conversations can be to an entrepreneur!

I hope to never have to retire. Rest, but never stop. There’s always going to be so much to do and so much to learn. And my idea of a holiday is already to sit on a couch and read all day, so what’s the point, really?


The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman is set in a picturesque retirement community. Elizabeth, Joyce, Ibrahim and Ron, well into their 70s, meet once a week to go over cold cases from their past lives. Until one day, the sleepy village wakes up to a murder! I absolutely adore all of the characters. They wield their senior status to have their way so cleverly. They are also whip smart and experienced, a deadly combination for anyone on the wrong side.

For those struggling with reading, pick this one up. It’s divided into small, neat chapters that you can set as reading goals and will get through effortlessly.

It only helps how funny the storytelling is. I found myself laughing out loud.

Tell me about an inspirational book you read recently that got you thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have eco-anxiety?

The seed was planted on a clear day; somewhere between my morning coffee and the first work call. My newsfeed said subways in Manhattan had...