Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Day 10: Investments and stomach ache

I was abruptly woken up at four this morning by my stomach. It had settled into a tight knot which made me extremely queasy. I walked around the house for a bit, secretly enjoying the quiet, and controlling the urge to puke. I wondered what mom what would do if she was here. And then I remembered; of course! She’d make me drink some magic potion!

This magic potion is called Jeevan Mixture. It is the solution to any stomach-related problem. My dad, who is the undisputed health expert in the family (immediate and extended), called it a life saver (thrice, in the same conversation). 

All you have to do is pour some water in a bowl, add a tablespoon of this potion to it, stir well and drink up. You’ll be fast asleep like nothing happened in the next 15 minutes; I always am.

This is gold!
In the middle of the day, we were given this complicated tax-saving-investment-whatever-it-is form at work. I call it complicated because it’s the first time I’ve received one. You see, I’ve only recently become a taxable citizen of the country (and man, is it taxing already). In short, a part of my salary will now go towards filling up a pothole which will only be one unassuming bicyclist away from returning to its old ways.

After a good 20 minutes of eating my office account’s head I realised that if I managed my investments well, I won’t have any taxes deducted.

Someone else could save the potholes!

After a phone call here and an email there, I decided what had to be done. I felt very mature and in-control for a whole 10 seconds, before a headache ensued.  

So what I’m really trying to say it:

 1) Keep numbers of a plumber, electrician, doctor and relative handy. You never know when you’ll need one. 
2) Buy Jeevan Mixture. Drink it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have eco-anxiety?

The seed was planted on a clear day; somewhere between my morning coffee and the first work call. My newsfeed said subways in Manhattan had...