Saturday, May 19, 2012

Day 6: Fretting is for ferrets

Today I finished reading what now is my (current) favourite book. Bossypants by Tina Fey is the autobiography of America’s First Funny Lady. Her sharp wit and devil-may-care attitude shines through every word. Her style of writing needs no introduction—SNL and 30 Rock are thriving examples. What’s most amazing about this book, and the reason I’m all over it is that I related to her. And you will too!

Fey is immensely talented, absolutely hilarious, and surprisingly humble. These are the last few lines of the book: (Ref: At some point in her life, she was very anxious and indecisive about having another baby. She explains her paranoia by relating a memory from her childhood. A set of siblings, who were being babysat for the first time in their lives, by her mother, and were overtly sceptical of the whole arrangement.)

...They were going to be fine, but they couldn’t possibly believe it. That must have been what I looked like to my doctor friend. That must be what I look like to anyone with a real problem...A little tiny person with nothing to worry about running in circles, worried out of her mind. Either way, everything will be fine.”

My love for Tina Fey is now irrevocable.

I found my lost mojo this afternoon as it sat pretty on the cutting board in the form of a cabbage. Easy and delicious! I wasn’t going to give up on cooking so easily. I love food! Cabbage bhaj­i is one of my mom’s (100s of) specialities. It turns out super when cooked correctly, and even if left a little uncooked there’s no harm done.

I went with my instinct and started on it remembering a golden piece of advice my mom had shared with me about cooking, “Treat food lovingly and don’t be hard-handed. It’s not going to like it and it’ll show!”

So with all the optimism and gentleness I could muster, I made the bhaji. And I am extremely happy to report that it turned out well. (The I’d-offer-you-some sort of well). Then I went about my weekend-cleaning business, and the house is all clean (and so am I!) 

Burrrp*

Now I’m off to watch that play I mentioned earlier. It’s by Motley Theatre and it’s got rave reviews. Happy Saturday to you!

PS: Fey gave birth to her second daughter about the same time as the release of the book.

So what I’m really trying to say is:

1) Panicking is not an option. If you have a panicky friend/relative who insists you let them know you’re all right every day, then please, just bloody do it.
2) Trust yourself. Everything is going to be all right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have eco-anxiety?

The seed was planted on a clear day; somewhere between my morning coffee and the first work call. My newsfeed said subways in Manhattan had...