Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Day 17: The Gates of Heaven (a.k.a Kitchen door)

Before I write about what you really want to read, I have to tell you: I finished reading the funniest book today! The Gates (of Hell are About to Open. Mind the Gap.) by John Connolly is exactly about what the full title gives away. The back cover reads: “...The fate of humanity lies in the hands of one small boy, an even smaller dog, and a very unlucky demon...”

Here’s a paragraph from it: (Ref: Since it’s about Hell’s gates opening and all, the book is obviously full of diabolic demons, human-insects flying around, and people coming back from the dead.)

“Bishop Bernard had never been a handsome man. He had, to be honest, been uglier than a wart on a toad’s bum, and the centuries spent buried beneath the church had done nothing to improve his looks...”

You get the drift. Though I borrowed this book, I can’t wait to buy my own copy. It’s just one of those books. I also prompted e-ordered another one of Connolly’s works, it’s called The Book of Lost Things. It'll be a week before I can get started on that, thanks to Flipkart.

Now, about the chicken; I was very excited throughout the day, and told anyone who would listen about my dinner plans. I walked into the house and head straight for the marinade. I placed it on the kitchen counter, to thaw—and wanted to stand there and watch it, but went about my usual business instead.

About 15 minutes later, I heated a non-stick vessel with a wee-bit of oil in it. I tipped the marinade in, added a little water and let the magic begin. Everyone I’d spoken to about cooking chicken estimated it to be done in about 20-25 minutes. They asked me to poke it around and check on it every 10 minutes.

This chicken took a little under an hour. I let it sit on a very slow flame throughout, and seriously, I don’t remember the last time I was this patient. All in all, this is what it looks like:

Yum hogaya
If I may say so myself, you should really try some. No worry, I’ll make it again for you, soon.  
I’m surrounded by the most amazing people who helped me out with this. So here’s a big shout out and thanks to them (and marthastewart.com). Lastly, I’ve saved some of it for mom. I’m sure, in her eyes, this is a bigger achievement than all my biggest achievements combined.

So what I'm really trying to say is:

1) Success smells and tastes spicy too. You just have to get the ingredients right! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have eco-anxiety?

The seed was planted on a clear day; somewhere between my morning coffee and the first work call. My newsfeed said subways in Manhattan had...